Buffalo Child Custody Lawyer Explains if Your Child Can Choose Their Residency

As an experienced Buffalo Child Custody Lawyer, I am often asked if a child can choose their residency.

  • The first step is to make sure the child really wants to make that change, and the court will make sure the child is not simply playing one parent against the other.
  • To move forward, an application is made to the family court or the Supreme Court to formalize the request. The court may appoint an attorney to represent the child and render a decision based on what’s best for the child.
  • Courts will not rely solely on a child’s preference, especially in the case of younger children.
  • The child’s expressed interest in moving from one parent to another does not make the change automatic, but the court does consider a child’s preference and may address any issues in the current home.

Does your child now want to move to your residence?  Contact dedicated Buffalo Child Custody Lawyer Michael Ranzenhofer for legal guidance.

This educational legal video was brought to you by Michael Ranzenhofer, an experienced Buffalo Child Custody Lawyer.