The Steps in a Criminal Case
- Criminal prosecution follows four basic steps.
- Arraignment is when a defendant is brought before the judge and assigned an attorney. The defendant’s charges are read and a plea is entered and a plea of guilty will result in the defendant being scheduled for sentencing.
- Submission of pretrial motions and discovery requests is next in the defense process.
- The trial may be with or without a jury and, if found guilty, the defendant is sentenced.
- Plea bargaining may take place at various points in the proceedings, and most cases are disposed of by plea bargaining.
Were you or a loved one charged with a crime somewhere in WNY? Contact dedicated Criminal Lawyer, Robert Friedman for help.
This educational legal video was brought to you by Robert Friedman, an experienced Buffalo Criminal Lawyer.
Out of Town Resources
These San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyers have done a great job creating educational content. If you need help with a criminal defense claim in San Antonio, we recommend you take a look at their website.