- Criminal prosecution follows four basic steps.
- Arraignment is when a defendant is brought before the judge and assigned an attorney. The defendant’s charges are read and a plea is entered and a plea of guilty will result in the defendant being scheduled for sentencing.
- Submission of pretrial motions and discovery requests is next in the defense process.
- The trial may be with or without a jury and, if found guilty, the defendant is sentenced.
- Plea bargaining may take place at various points in the proceedings, and most cases are disposed of by plea bargaining.
Were you or a loved one charged with a crime somewhere in WNY? Contact dedicated Criminal Lawyer, Robert Friedman for help.