Auto Accident Claims
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident, you know that it can completely derail your life. You may be wondering what you can do to get compensation for your injuries. Here is what you should know about auto accident claims.
Auto Accident Claims | First Steps
So much in an auto accident case depends upon the evidence. The moments after an accident can be stressful and overwhelming, and you may be physically incapacitated to take down any information. However, if possible, recording or remembering the following information will help you later on:
- The other driver’s name, address, telephone number, and date of birth.
- The other driver’s license number, insurance company name, and insurance policy number.
- The attending police officer’s name and badge number.
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of witnesses.
You can also take the following steps to aid your memory and strengthen your case:
- Visit a hospital as soon as possible to ensure that your injuries are treated, and documented.
- Put together a diagram of the car accident, noting the street layout, the arrangement of the vehicles before and after the accident, and the position of any witnesses.
- Jot down any other notes regarding the car accident as soon as possible.
Auto Accident Claims | What You Can Sue For
Auto accident claims fall into three categories:
- Pain and suffering: Any pain and suffering – physical or mental – you’ve endured because of your accident could qualify for a claim.
- Medical expenses: All medical expenses directly resulting from your accident qualify for a claim. This includes short-term treatment, like a trip to the emergency room or a surgery, and could include long-term treatment, like physical therapy, chiropractic, or even counseling for emotional and mental health issues. In either case, you need medical documentation proving that the injuries or conditions treated were a direct result of the accident.
- Lost wages: You may be able to make a claim for wages lost during any time an injury has kept you away from work.
Have you been seriously injured in a car accident? Please call our experienced Buffalo personal injury lawyers today for strong and dedicated legal guidance to get the compensation you deserve.