Steps After a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been seriously injured after a motorcycle crash, you will want to make sure you take the right steps after an accident to ensure you receive maximum compensation. Contact our experienced Buffalo motorcycle accident lawyers today for help filing your personal injury claim.
Steps After a Motorcycle Accident | Statistics
The most recent statistics from the federal government indicate there were 123,000 motorcycle accidents in the U.S. In 2007 that resulted in injuries with 5,154 fatalities reported. At least 50% of these accidents were not the fault of the rider. In many of these accidents, the fault lies with the driver of the car, van or truck that caused the accident. Usually it’s a matter of the driver not being able to see the bike.
Steps After a Motorcycle Accident | What to Do
If you have been injured while riding your motorcycle, it’s important to take certain steps right after the accident. You should try to do the following:
- Call the nearest police agency immediately – or have someone on the scene call the police.
- Make sure a police report is begun as soon as possible after the officer’s arrival.
- No matter how minor the accident, seek immediate medical attention. You might have injuries you are unaware of.
- Get as much information as possible about the driver that caused the accident. That would include the license number, their personal information and insurance coverage details if possible.
- Ask that any witnesses provide details of the accident.
If you’ve been seriously injured, you’re not going to be able to gather this information – but your family can. We urge any family member of an injured rider to begin gathering this information as soon as possible.
Steps After a Motorcycle Accident | Hire a Lawyer
Many of the injuries riders suffer in motorcycle accidents are permanent and life-changing. Perhaps the smartest thing you can do after gathering this information is seek professional legal advice. Have you or a loved one suffered a serious injury from a motorcycle accident? Contact our experienced Buffalo motorcycle accident lawyers for dedicated representation. Let our experience work for you.