Have you been charged with a DWI and are looking for the next steps to take? Here are 5 commonly asked DWI questions that may answer some thoughts running through your head. Please contact our experienced Buffalo lawyers and schedule a consultation to learn more.
Can I Get a DWI Expunged?
- In New York State, the DWI record cannot be expunged.
- A person convicted of DWI may be able to obtain a certificate of relief from disabilities.
- A certificate of relief will not assist a convicted driver in obtaining a commercial driver’s license.
How Long Does a DWI Arrest Stay on My Record?
- A DWI conviction is permanent.
- The length of time since any prior DWIs affects your charges and eligibility for a drinking driver program.
Will My License be Revoked?
- If you are convicted of DWI, your license will be revoked for six months if you provided a breath test.
- You will be granted a conditional license for driving to work and medical appointments.
What are the Penalties for a DWI Conviction?
- The type of penalties you receive for DWI in New York will depend on a variety of factors.
- Factors such as your criminal record, whether or not there was an accident and how you performed on the roadside tests.
- You may have to pay a fine or go to driving school, and in some cases even go to jail for a DWI conviction.
Will I Lose My Job from a DWI?
- A driver convicted of DWI will not lose their job simply because of a DWI or DWAI conviction.
- Certain professions may revoke a convicted DWI driver’s license to perform his or her work.
- A commercial driver will lose their ability to drive via loss of a CDL (commercial driver’s license).
- Persons in the country on a green card may lose their job through deportation or detention.
Contact Our Buffalo Office Today
Contact experienced attorney Robert Friedman for strong legal representation and to answer more than our 5 commonly asked DWI questions. With over 35 years of experience, he has the skills and resources necessary to build a strong defense and challenge the results of the roadside testing. Contact him today and let his experience work for you.
Subscribe on our YouTube Channel