Selling the Matrimonial Home

The division of assets during a divorce can be quite simple in some ways but rather difficult in others. Some assets, such as money and debts, can easily be split in an even or egalitarian manner, and disputes over furniture and gifts can be quickly resolved. Where real estate is involved, however, matters become complicated. Unlike finances, the marital home cannot be split in half, and both spouses must decide how best to tackle this issue. In the video below, divorce lawyer Michael Ranzenhofer discusses which actions to take if one of the two parties in a divorce can’t agree on selling the matrimonial home.

What Do I Do If My Ex-Spouse Refuses to Sell our House?

During a divorce action, either the house will be sold and the proceeds equitably divided, or one person will have the opportunity to buy out the other. If one person does not want to sell the house, that person can either buy out the other spouse or let the court force the sale of the home. One person cannot delay the divorce action by refusing to sell the house or sign necessary real estate papers because, if he or she does, the court will force the issue. The court will allow the parties to decide—if they can—whether the house will be sold or one person will keep it. If either party behaves unreasonably, refusing to do any necessary task, such as putting the house up for sale, the court will order that to take place.

When going through a divorce, it is imperative to have the guidance of a knowledgeable attorney.  Let the Buffalo divorce lawyers at Friedman & Ranzenhofer stand on your side. We possess significant experience working through New York courts. Understanding the procedures, judges, opposing counsel, and many issues involved in divorce law is significant in achieving success.

Friedman & Ranzenhofer believe that no other legal practice is as emotionally charged as family law, and helping you through all areas of family law can put your mind, and your family’s mind at ease.

Do you have questions about selling the matrimonial home, or are having issues with a spouse who is refusing to sell? Contact the experienced Buffalo divorce lawyers at Friedman & Ranzenhofer for dedicated representation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *