THE DANGERS OF DISTRACTED DRIVING IN PARKING LOTS
Vehicle crashes in parking lots and garages cause more than 500 deaths and 60,000 injuries annually. Auto insurance claims increase on Black Friday and are above normal throughout the holiday shopping season.
In a National Safety Council public opinion poll, 66% of drivers said they would make phone calls while driving through parking lots and:
- Program GPS systems (63%).
- Text (56%).
- Use social media (52%).
- Send or receive emails (50%).
- Take photos or watch videos (49%).
Teens (59%) were more likely to engage in personal grooming than adults (53%) while driving in parking lots, but less likely to be on the phone (60% vs. 66%).
Follow these safety tips:
- Stay in lanes.
- Avoid cutting across lots.
- Drive slowly and use directional signals.
- Anticipate the actions of other drivers.
- Obey stop signs and no-parking signs.
- When backing, be mindful of vehicles and pedestrians.
- Watch for small children and parents with baby strollers.
- Conduct a 360-degree walk-around before backing, keeping an eye out for low-lying objects
- Don’t rely completely on technology (such as back-up cameras) when backing-up, but look over your shoulder and use your mirrors.